Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Vintage Vice

Check out what I scored at the flea market this past weekend.

An ol' boy from Loosyana was peddling all sorts of interesting stuff, and in the mix was this nifty vintage wood stand up bench vice, complete with large clamp, hand turned wood screw with forged metal handle and turned wood anchor nut.

I asked, "What do you want for the old wood vice?"  When he looked at me kinda odd and said, "Will you give me five bucks for it?", I damn near threw my shoulder out of it's joint getting the money out of my pocket.

I've been looking for one of these for months, but the unavailability and big prices had me almost to the point of building my own -- with commercial metal screw and anchor nut -- which didn't ring my bell real good.

At any rate, it's gonna make for a great way to hold guitar bodies and necks, when I want to do a little shaping and carving.  I have to create a lower adjustment arm and position the anchor nut to the bench, but that's no sweat.  An hour's work and I'll have this thing cleaned up and working just fine.

Can't wait to see what treasure I find next month.   ;-)


No comments:

Post a Comment