Saturday, September 3, 2011

Down Time

I read a lot, probably 25-30 or more novels a year, mostly mysteries - good mysteries - and it has recently gotten in the way of building guitars and amps.

My son Jay turned me onto a trilogy, by author Stieg Larsson, which I had lightly considered every time I passed through Barnes & Noble.  But, I couldn't get my head around the titles, which goes to show that 'you can't judge a book by it's cover'.

I was in the middle of a guitar build the other day, when Jay happened by to say hello and to drop off one of the titles in question for me to explore.  Bad timing.  I cracked the binding on 'The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo', and the rest is history . . . I have not completed the 'Spiderman' guitar for my little friend in Seattle.  I'm sorry Steven, but I promise to getter done soon.

If you like a good mystery, then you must read the Stieg Larsson trilogy.  It's a wide-eyed, coffee gulping, page turning, all-night adventure worth every minute you spend with it, maybe several nights, if you're a slow reader.


The language is a little rough in spots, but I'll leave the judgments to you the reader.  All I will say is that I think the plot far overshadows any of the profanity.  This is better than anything written recently by Grisham, Patterson, or any of the other novel-by-the-minute-for-money writers on the NYT best sellers list.

If you try it and don't agree, tell someone else, 'cause I don't want to hear it.

1 comment:

  1. I too enjoyed the first 2, but haven't read the last one yet.

    Ron

    ReplyDelete