Thursday, December 2, 2010

A Gold Guitar

A fella was sitting on deserted railroad tracks somewhere down south playing his beat up old cigar box guitar and thinking about how his life was turning out, when suddenly the sky clouded above his head and, in a booming voice, God said, "Because you have tried to be faithful to me in all ways, I will grant you one wish."

The ol' boy looked up and said, "Build me a gold-plated guitar to replace this beat up old thing, so that I can entertain the masses, and feel better about myself."

God replied, "Your request is quite materialistic, and I do not see how such an instrument is necessary in the effort to entertain others, and I cannot understand how it can serve to change your feelings about yourself. I can do it, but it is hard for me to justify your desire for worldly things.  Take a little more time to think of something that could possibly help mankind."

The ol' guy thought about it for a long time.  Finally, he said, "God, I wish that I, and all men, could understand women.  I want to know how she feels inside; what she's thinking when she gives me the silent treatment; why she cries; what she means when she says nothing's wrong; why she snaps and complains when I try to help; and how I can make her truly happy."

God said, "You want a six- or twelve-string?"

1 comment: